Sunday, May 25, 2008

I’m Back! With my verdict on Taoism (for me)


Wow, it has been a really long time since I have posted! I have been more than swamped at work. End of semester and all that. This year has been challenging. Bit off more than I could chew in all sorts of ways. I'm eager to be able to blog about things that are occuring in my life now, today, but also to finish up the old journals and bring everyone up to date. So here is the next installment, and I hope I will be able to keep them coming more regularly now that summer is here at last. They say that the weather is going to reflect the fact soon, though we are still putting on coats and scarves in the mornings . . .


March 12, 2007



[We had finally seen An Inconvenient Truth the night before, so I wrote for several pages about that]. As Jim said last night, you'd think the religious right would jump on all of this as evidence of the end of the world, the End Times, as predicted in The Revelation. But because of the peculiar shape of the partisan discourse in this country, the strange bed-fellows, they can't. It is kind of ironic, actually. With all of that [the economic and environmental disasters I had just finished detailing] coming down the pike, how can we calmly believe that everything is as it should be? How do we say, "yep, I accept the world exactly as it is?" Because it isn't only the human sorrows, it is the extinction of masses of animal species, for one. No more polar bears, ever again. It is the death of many plants and insects. It is the ruination of our beautiful home.



The movie was very effective in showing this. It ended with a satellite picture of Earth, and I felt such a pang of love and sorrow. This is our home, our Garden of Eden, of such incredible beauty. Unspeakably marvelous in so many ways. How can we have treated her so badly? How can we have been so cavalier? We were given a perfect gift, and just trashed it. But Lao-tzu says we must accept things as they are. Is this what the Source wanted? I was thinking this morning about how there is a lot to be learned from all of this about evil in the world. Reviewing my understanding that you can't have heroism without fear, love without sorrow and pain, perseverance without obstacles. And I'm sure it is instructive to be inside evil people; to watch how they become that way, what motivates them, and how they feel. So if we are all One, or the One split and became all of us, then I can understand how all of this would help an entity learn about itself. But surely good will win, won't it? If the Entity knows all of the wisdom we have access to, then surely it must know the value of goodness. That even if this earth is destroyed in the process, the Source will be better for it. That's the only way I can even begin to follow the advice to accept things as they are. Or believe the world is exactly as it should be.



47



Without opening your door,



You can open your heart to the world.



Without looking out the window,



You can see the essence of the Tao.






The more you know,



The less you understand.

The Master arrives without leaving,



Sees the light without looking,



Achieves without doing a thing.



Is this apt, or what? Plus, just before I opened the Tao, I went out to smoke and in my novel read an argument about the pleasures and wonders of the world, and whether you can find them inside or outside.



I can open my heart to the world. I do. And I suppose I am seeing the essence of the Tao, although I don't always let myself, when I get caught up in the ugliness without remembering that it is part of the Tao, or when I am just so busy worrying about my little life that I don't see anything at all.


Definitely, the more I know, the less I understand. All of the new knowledge I got last night made me understand even less about human nature and about the nature of the Tao, or the Ultimate Source. As I've been writing all morning, trying to work toward understanding. And I got to a place, a resolution, I can at least live with for right now.


I do think that meditation is going to be necessary. I can't learn too much more, or gain much better of an understanding, without beginning to explore my inner self. So why am I not doing it? I've known for long time that's what I need to do. And now I even have a CD to listen to. I just have to make the commitment and do it.


March 13
Yesterday I did listen to the CD before I went to work, and it was good! I really like the woman's voice, and she's saying a lot of things I've been trying to tell myself I need to hear. The subject is empowerment, so there are a lot of "you are powerful, confident, sure" and "tenacious, persevering, you stand up for yourself, say no when it is in your best interest." But there are others about being gentle and compassionate with yourself and others, making time to do the things that replenish you. "You say yes to life." "You make room in your life for miracles, for abundance. Abundant joy, love, sex and wealth. You accept things the way they are. You let go of negative thoughts." It just repeats itself over and over, so I'll soon have it memorized. I want my soul to have it memorized, the cells in my body to have it memorized. We have a lot of work to do to replace all the old tapes. I started working on that when I was 19-20. Ten years or so to get in there in the first place. Though that isn't true. I guess some of it I was learning from infancy and all the way up to 22. And some of it, whatever I still have to get rid of, has been there for close to 38 years.


I am so much healthier than I was even ten years ago, and almost a wholly different person than I was at 21. Not completely, of course, but I had so many more negative beliefs about myself than I do now. This is great to remember. It is proof that I can change. I can learn to love myself, and thus be more able to love others. I can learn to stop treating my body as the enemy. It can even become my friend. I need to stop hurting it, and hating it. Stop repeating hateful messages to myself, and instead be loving, and gentle, and optimistic about what we can accomplish.



The body isn't stupid, but it is simple. It needs simple messages of love. And direction. I believe our bodies can take direction from our conscious as well as inner minds. But maybe only if the two are speaking in agreement, or not fighting, at least. I realize I sound like a new-age freak. But there is solid science to back me up. Our thoughts can and do change reality. Which means, doesn't it, that humans are more important than the rest of creation? Not in a dominating way, but if, because we are self-conscious beings, we can change the structure of reality, then I have trouble seeing us exactly like water and birds, insects, reptiles. Not dominant, but not just part of the landscape. That's where I have trouble with Taoism. That Lao-tzu wants people to just live simple lives, never changing anything, being just like the worker bees and ants, like other animals followng their instincts. Well, my instincts say there is more for us. Maybe that more is in our heads. That is the bridge I can make to Lao-tzu. Maybe if we were living our simple lives, we could devote our minds to learning the Tao and could usher in an entirely new mode of being.



But I think for me, Taoism provides some helpful tools, and the Tao te Ching says many incredibly wise things; wise beyond my fathoming. But at the core philosophy, I baulk. I just think that Buddhism and Hinduism are more right. And ultimately, I think Buddhism is a branch of Hinduism.



I'm still going to use the Tao te Ching because it is wise and helpful. I'm just not going to beat myself up too much when I get to a place that seems to be saying only the pastoral life is okay.



Anyway, after the CD (which I listened to for 40 minutes and go pretty deep into trance at times) – well, maybe I better write about the experience.



Part of my journey is learning about myself, about what trance is like for me. What I was seeing through much of the 40 minutes, especially at the beginning, were swirling colors. They were dark blues, purples and occassionally greens. It was like looking into a cauldron of seething gases, that pulsated and moved counter-clockwise. Yes, more like clouds than liquids. And as they were swirling – which isn't quite the right word because the movement was slow – they would billow out, and turn under, and other shades would be revealed. As I got deeper, there appeared to be something bright in the middle of all the motion. It stayed in place while things moved around it. And it was yellow, or sometimes orange. Sometimes I thought there was a thing there, under the cloud; sometimes not.



Then things changed, became less cohesive, and I don't remember what it was like. Warmer colors. I think that may have been when the phone rang, and I could hear Jim upstairs yelling at the guy from unemployment. That was pretty distracting. I kept trying to pull my mind away, but it was hard, and I don't think I ever really got back on track. I stayed up, closer to the surface. The colors were warmer, maybe that means something? Although they were darker when I first started, so I don't know. Will have to see if there is a pattern the next few times.



One other sort of cool thing was that I got somewhat diembodied. My hands seemed to be far apart. I would have sworn they were either resting on my legs, separate, or even that they were floating. But when I came up, they were clasped in my lap. I was totally surprised!



I had some trouble with pain being a distraction, though that was mostly in beginning and a little at the end, after the phone disruption. The ache was okay, it was when the pain would pulsate, or go shooting. So, when it changed. And I had trouble finding a comfortable place for my neck. I need to support it better next time.



It was pretty neat, and I'm excited to do it again today and see what happens.



48



In the pursuit of knowledge



Everyday something is added.



In the practice of the Tao



Every day something is dropped.



Less and less do you need to force things



Until finally you arrive at non-action.



When nothing is done



Nothing is left undone.

True mastery can be gained



By letting things go their own way.



It can't be gained by interfering.



I've asked for instruction in non-action, and here is a little piece. Every day something is dropped. It can't mean actual action, like doing one's job, running one's household. So it must mean other kinds of action. Like what? Like worrying about things one can't change. Like criticism or judgment, hostility, irritability. Each day one of these must be dropped. One of the things that hurts me or others. So, for instance, in the war against my face, every day I should drop one fight with an intractable hair. Drop one mean thing I say to myself. Drop one time of not being present for Jim.


Less and less do you need to force things. So does that mean that every time I feel resistance – like if I'm talking to Jim and sense he isn't really listening, I should stop? Or the hair thing. If a hair resists being pulled, stop trying. If an idea for a class won't come, walk way from it for awhile. I think this is what I means. If every day I dropped some of these things, some of these urges to push through and force things, then I begin to see how one could arrive at non-action. Because when you are moving through your day and encountering no resistance, you are part of the Tao, part of the natural and correct flow of things, and in a mystical way, you aren't doing anything! I get it.



To do this, though. . . Wow. Will it be hard. I'm used to thinking of my life as a battle, mostly with myself. That I must force myself to work, force myself to eat breakfast, force exercise, force to work harder, longer, faster, smarter. And that is totally the wrong idea. No wonder my body will not listen to me and my creativity is stuck. I am feeling a little shift. The piles of work I have right now, I want to do. I am actually eager to do them. And I think if I got out of my own way, I'd find that I actually want to do, and can do, much more. Stop thinking of it as force. Drop at least one push each day. Rephrase things to myself – "Ah, I get to wash the dishes! What a wonderful opportunity to medidate and show my love for Jim!" Wouldn't that change everything? It would. It will! Okay, so I'm off to do my wonderful, fun work.




1 comment:

jenzai studio said...

yea! I'm glad you're back!

I love reading your posts on the Tao and acceptance. Learning acceptance is something I imagine I (we?) will struggle with for my entire life. I don't know if this is what the Tao means by acceptance, but here's the way that I've come to accept acceptance. Acceptance for me doesn't mean that things are necessarily as they should be, things just are the way they are, and if I want to be have any kind of serenity I have to accept them the way that they are. Once I accept things as they are in the moment, it seems to free things up to change. One of the best examples of this is my marriage. At some point, I had to accept my marriage the way that it was - to stop living in a fantasy world because the reality of it seemed to painful to bear. It seems so backward and so scary (how could I accept this terrible situation?!), but it was finally accepting the reality of how broken our marriage was that allowed us both to do the work we needed to do in order for it to change and to mend.

Maybe things like global warming work the same way? If it is, then acceptance is the starting place, and the place we always try to operate from, but it doesn't mean that we can't do the work in front of us that might bring about change. And then when things change, we have to accept that, too. : )

Thank you for sharing your journey with learning to accept the physical pain that you experience daily - it is such a visceral example of how acceptance works, and it is an inspiration.

I've missed you!

Blog Rankings

Religion Blogs - Blog Rankings