Monday, June 2, 2008

Still Getting it Together, March 19-24 2007

Well folks, it is taking me longer to get back into the swing of things than I thought it would. All I seem able to do is lay around and read novels. And a few other things. In fact, I'm going to have to write a real live, real-time post here pretty soon, because there is something so cool I want to share with you all that I just learned about (thanks, big sister!). In the meantime, here is the next installment . . .

March 19

Monday, and here I am at 4:30 am again. After going to bed at 11:30 and waking at 2, 3, and 4. First day back to work after the break, and I'm finding it tough to find the good in this pain. Maybe it will finally dirve me to do the meditation I need to be doing. I do feel I at least won't forget to make my doctor's appointment today. [Several pages detailing the work I accomplished over the break and what still remained to be done, plans for the rest of the semester, and the desire to move, buy a house].

At night as I lie awake, I've been visualizing not only me – healthy, strong, and pain-free, but also Jim – happy, employed, and fired-up about a project at work. Will just keep holding those images in my mind. Make them come true with the force of my will. Well, maybe not. Not exactly following the Tao, is it? Or the advice of the Gita. However, both suggest, along with Buddhism (and quantum physics) that our minds are very powerful; that we define and create reality. So, with gentle, constant reminders to the Universe of how it is supposed to be, we can nudge it in to that shape. That's the basic theory, as I understand it. In the language of Taoism, its more like; When one is in tune with the Tao, the River will run in such a way that it tumbles rocks into or out of place, cut down a sandbank, whatever it needs to do to bring things naturally into a shape that allows the River to flow a certain way. It goes around obstacles, or using those obstacles, makes them not-obstacles. I don't know. I had a picture of how it works but I can't articulate it. It isn't what I just wrote.

Maybe the Tao te Ching will have the words or a message today that helps me see this better.

55

He who is in harmony with the Tao

Is like a newborn child.

Its bones are soft, its muscles are weak,

But its grip is powerful.

It doesn't know about the union

Of male and female,

Yet its penis can stand erect,

So intense is the vital power.

It can scream its head off all day

Yet it never becomes hoarse,

So complete is its harmony.


 

The Master's power is like this.

She lets all things come and go

Effortlessly, without desire.

She never expects results;

Thus she is never disappointed.

She is never disappointed,

Thus her spirit never grows old.


 

At first I was going to say that visualization in Taoism works, because if/when one is in harmony with the Tao, one's desires are the desires of the Tao. But the reading reminds me that like Buddha, Lao-tzu says we must let go of desire altogether. No, that isn't quite right –we are to relinquish the wrong kinds of desire. Wanting to be healthy, in balance with nature, is an allowable desire. Wanting to be free of this physical pain . . . I don't know. I think not. Wanting Jim to be on his right path, using the skills and abilities the Tao itself gave him, and desiring that he, too, be on the road to a healthy soul – those are okay desires.

We must have those desires in order to choose and stay on the Way. Wishing he'd make a lot of money, wishing he'd have some power – those are things that – it isn't wrong to want those things – it just isn't in harmony with the Tao and is thus less likely to bear fruit.

We need to concentrate on being centered in the Tao so that our desires become the ones the Tao gives. Well, that sounds like hegemonic discourse. The Tao is not Big Brother. It is just that it is what it is. So powerful that we are only going to get what it provides, because we are wholly in it, of it and for it.

Go back to the ocean. If you stand in the water, where I had us before, and you decide with all your heart that you want the water to roll out, but never come back in as waves, because you want a wet, sandy area with lots of shells to play in. Maybe, if you had really honed your mind, you could get the waves to stay back for a while. However, unless all of creation shared your desire for the ocean to cease having waves, then all the laws of physics we believe in would eventually kick in.

Now, playing in wet sand, looking for shells is not a bad or evil thing (I don't think). So, if you were in harmony with the Tao, you could do something like let yourself go with the current, and it would deposit you in a wet, sandy, shell-filled beach.

That's closer to what I believe about how visualization goes with Taoism. However, I'm still caught by the "no expectations" part. How does one simultaneously hold an image of a thing or a state they desire, and at the same time have no expectations? I know, I've asked this before, and I suppose I'll go on asking until I really get it. I do believe there is a way, because there are allusions to being able to command, or to have such power the entire universe bends your way. Power, with no desire, no expectations. Will keep puzzling.

For now it seems clear that what I need to visualize is Jim and I both being on healthy, life-affirming, harmonic paths. Don't specify what those paths are, at least not too much, because that might lead to expectations. On the other hand, people say you must be specific. I think what I can do is visualize certain jobs, activities, etc., as symbols of the health I am desirous of. Make it clear to myself that these are not the exact things I need, just symbols of the kinds of people I'd love for us to be.

And in truth, I don't have a lot of specific desires. I want Jim to be happy. That one is so big, if I could have it I would willingly, joyfully, give up all the rest. But if I didn't have to, I would really like us to not have to worry all the time about money. I would love for us to have a house that would welcome guests and have enough space for a garden – one big enough that we could feed ourselves through much of the summer and can a good deal for the long winters. It would be even better if it had lots of pretty land and water around it, but I don't need all of that to be happy. It would just be so lovely to have our own space.

I'd like to get tenure and all that implies – that my teaching and research are good and fulfilling. But I don't need those, either. If I don't get tenure, I'll adapt. I'd love to have all my loved ones live long, healthy lives, but I realize I can't expect that. I'd love to be thin and beautiful, but I've been letting go of that dream for a long time, and I'm pretty comfortable in my own skin. Not perfectly, but its better.

Really, I know things won't make me happy. Getting my Ph.D. done was huge. It was the one thing I really wanted to make sure I did. And I'm very happy with my job. I'm glad I got it and I hope to keep it. I'm not feeling, though, that I could never be happy doing something else. So in terms of things like this, I'm okay – pretty okay – with letting them come and go.

But Jim's happiness – I want it so badly that it hurts. How can I let that go, and is it right to do so?

March 20

56

Those who know don't talk.

Those who talk don't know.


 

Close your mouth,

Block off your senses,

Blunt your sharpness

Untie your knots,

Soften your glare,

Settle your dust.

This is the primal identity.


 

Be like the Tao.

It can't be approached or withdrawn from,

Benefitted or harmed,

Honored or brought into disgrace.

It gives itself up continually.

This is why it endures.


 

Hmmmm. You'd think I'd have the message about meditating by now, wouldn't you? Why have I not done that in these early mornings alone, as soon as the pain recedes a little?

March 21

Okay, so how am I doing? Pretty good, overall. I'm doing a decent job of just letting the pain be what it is, though I still mention it too much. For a long time now, I've tried to just say, "The pain is strong" or "I'm hurting quite a bit". In other words, make statements of fact, not whine and complain. But I still do complain, or say I'm tired of it and want it to go away, or die down. All statements of fact, too, but clearly statements of desire, which I am trying to eliminate.

I did a good job being present in the moment yesterday, which is why the meeting was more interesting. I didn't keep looking at the clock, as I usually do. Same with students and their groups. I gave each one my full attention, not worrying about the others who were waiting, or just wanting to be done and out of there. So I'd say I'm making progress. Trying to remember that "life is easy." Just do the thing in front of me wholly, fully, give it all of myself, and leave it when I'm done. Of course, the nature of my work is that I have to have a large number of things always in progress, so I can rarely "finish" a job, but I can do as much of the task as is reasonable or as time allows. I'm doing better at that.

I felt it important to note this somewhere. I spend a lot of time in these pages noting work I should do on myself. Wanted to record somewhere that I am working and moving forward. I keep wondering, though, if at some point it won't be the logical next step to give up the journal.

What is a journal for but to record the past? Capture the present moment of thinking? If I were truly living each moment fully, would there be any more need to write like this? Maybe I would only write down important thoughts and ideas. I've often wished that's all my journal was – beautiful, deep thoughts. But I also feel like it's a muscle I'm exercising by writing, keeping words flowing. And right now I still need a way to work out my feelings and thoughts, even if they aren't beautiful or deep. What am I doing worrying about it? If I ever feel like giving this up or changing how I use it, I will, and I will want to! So what's to worry about? Because I did! I foolishly began to panic, thinking of this being stolen away from me. See how silly I can be? Gosh, I hope I'm making progress in catching such silliness sooner.

57

If you want to be a great leader,

You must learn to follow the Tao.

Stop trying to control.

Let go of fixed plans and concepts,

And the world will govern itself.

Well – I agree – to a point. People aren't all following the Tao, so they will still kill and steal without some control. But let's just apply this to me, as a teacher and researcher. I've been trying for a long time to make my classes more organic. To allow students to follow their noses to great ideas. The problem is, they have had their natural curiousity beaten out of them. When you give them freedom, they feel lost and afraid. So I am learning that I first have teach them how to let go of that bad training, how to try to find their own noses – their own interest and curiousity. Only then can you begin showing them a path, and then teach them how to follow it. It is just sad –it breaks my heart – to see these hundreds, who represent millions, of young people who have learned to not use their heads. They have been punished so often for so long anytime they expressed a desire for knowledge that wasn't in the lesson plan, that they have largely stopped - not just asking questions - they have stopped having any questions. So when you just let them go and say, "OK, we'll study whatever you want. What do you want to learn?" They don't know what to do. They panic.

So I guess I believe it is the teachers who are still teaching students to stifle their curiosity that need to learn this lesson in this stanza. It isn't that I don't have control issues in other areas of my life, but in my leadership, my teaching, my job right now is to teach students to be free. Teach them to stop relying on the fixed plans and concepts. Boy, I shared some of this with Jim and we had a wonderful discussion, pushing these ideas forward. So now it is 9am and I need to move on. To continue. . .

The more prohibitions you have,

The less virtuous people will be.

The more weapons you have,

The less secure people will be.

The more subsidies you have,

The less self-reliant people will be.


 

Therefore the Master says:

I let go of the law,

And people became honest.

I let go of economics,

And people became more prosperous.

I let go of religion,

And people became serene.

I let go of all desire for the common good,

And the good became as common as grass.


 

Interesting that Confucius lived about the same time, and said some of the same things, and some nearly opposite in philosophy. But for me, I think there is great wisdom here. That if you could start over with a fresh world, this would all be true. I wonder if it isn't the same with all these things – if students have to be taught to have curiousity, might it also be the case that after having been trained to live in the current system, people would also need to be trained to be honest, to be secure, serene, self-reliant, etc.? Its one thing to say people will rely on themselves if they have no subsidies, but when the entire economic structure of the world is designed to crush people at the bottom, I don't think that is a real solution. More to say, but have to go to work.

Here in May, 2008 – I am thinking a lot about the presidential campaign, of course, and I think that in fact, people have lived so long in a system of political corruption and dishonesty, vicious back-biting and backstabbing and under-the-table deals that they truly cannot recognize goodness, integrity, honesty and above-board dealing when they see it. People just don't know what to make of Obama because they keep expecting him to play by the old rules, and when he doesn't, they figure he must have an even more evil agenda up his sleeve. They have a hard time accepting that it is just simple honesty. Simple goodness, simple truth.

March 22

58

If a country is governed with tolerance,

The people are comfortable and honest.

If a country is governed with repression,

The people are depressed and crafty.


 

When the will to power is in charge,

The higher the ideals, the lower the results.

Try to make people happy,

And you lay the groundwork for misery.

Try to make people moral,

And you lay the groundwork for vice.


 

Thus the Master is content

To serve as an example

And not impose her will.

She is pointed, but does not pierce,

Straightforward, but supple.

Radiant, but easy on the eyes.

Once again, I agree in principle, but think there would need to be a transition time. My country does reasonably well with tolerance, in that we don't have too many repressive laws. However, our families and maybe schools and other areas, have become tolerant with no structure, and an "anything goes" attitude does not appear to lead to comfort and honesty. Or say in industrial and business law – we've been too tolerant of bad behavior, and people have just taken advantage. They have become extremely comfortable and extremely dishonest. I guess I'm saying it depends on what one is being tolerant of. Creativity? Diversity? Okay. Lying, cheating, exploitation, etc.? Not so much.

And same in the classroom. Tolerate behavior like talking, sleeping, leaving on phones, etc., and students will behave very badly, destroy the ambiance and make it impossible for anyone to learn. However, I have a pretty tolerant approach to absences and tardiness and my students now give me fewer dishonest excuses. And, once I'm able to get them to talk, I tolerate a wide variety of views and opinions. Their work – I've left things open and they first panicked – creativity not usually tolerated - but with time I hope they'll get comfortable with it.

The middle part is interesting and a little confusing – or rather, startling – and maybe really profound. Is it really the case that higher ideals will bring lower results? How can that be?

I can see how trying to make people happy is a recipe for misery. Witness all the parents who think making children happy is their job. Their children are miserable because they needed limits and got none, they needed adults to make decisions for them and were frightened by the responsibility of having to choose for themselves.

And I also see that efforts to rigidly control people's morality, to focus on that in school, say, by making people read the Bible and watch each other and confess their sins and have punishments like copying Bible verses, always being told they are sinning sinners – the awful Catholic schools of books and movies, encouraged people to actually become sneaky, lying, stealing, sex-having people. But these are excesses. Isn't it still right and good to have morality on the list of things you are trying to achieve? Don't we all want our people, nations, children, students to be moral?

The key, I guess, is in the first line. When the will to power is in charge. So it is okay to have the students' happiness and morality in mind as long as . . . what? I am not consumed with the desire to control them? The rules aren't written in such a way to give me power over them? Their happiness? Their morality? I'm just not sure how to interpret and apply this. Well, it's 7 am, and I'm eager to go see the students today . . .

1 comment:

jenzai studio said...

gosh, there's so much great stuff here! I've thought about twenty things I would love to talk about as I read this entry, and of course now that I'm at the end of it, I can't remember a singe one of them (of course that may have something to do with the fact that I have only been able to read it in five minute increments, punctuated by I don't know how many interruptions by my children!)

I love your exploration of how we put things out to the universe and have intentions without expectations; how we have a right to our actions but not the fruit of our actions. I love that line from the Gita and repeat it to myself a lot.

I know there were other things in there I wanted to comment on, but maybe we can have a real phone conversation one of these days?

Blog Rankings

Religion Blogs - Blog Rankings